As photography tools have become more and more sophisticated, the quality of images has not only improved—new techniques that were originally unavailable have opened new perspectives as well.
Time-lapse is one of the emerging photo techniques that let you take several hundred images to create a small, compressed video. An excellent time-lapse camera is important for this, together with knowledge of the techniques that pros use.
- When considering how many images should be taken, it will depend entirely on the subject matter that you have. Remember that this will take a ton of time since each image will only take a fraction of time in the entire scheme.
- If subjects— like trees, water, or clouds—are expected to move consistently, you may want to set your time-lapse camera to take a shot every 2 seconds. If you will be taking care of slow-moving or barely moving subjects, it’s best to set it at around 8 to 10 seconds per shot to get more movement and variance of action from the environment.
- Remember that at 30 frames per second, a minute of photo capture equates to just 1 second of actual lapsing, so calculate roughly how long you are willing to stay.
- It’s essential to keep a tripod with you and set your cam to automatic so you can leave the camera to keep shooting. Each DSLR will have this option somewhere. For Nikon cameras, you can find this in the click menu > shooting menu > interval time shooting.
- You will be asked the time interval between each shot, the number of images that you want to capture in total and how many shots you want to take per capture, typically listed at one.
- When using a Canon camera, you would need the Magic Lantern installed. If you have this in, navigate to this through the Shoot submenu and choose the intervalometer option. Set the preferred interval and start shooting.
There are more techniques that can be used with a proper time-lapse camera. You just need to make sure that you have the correct equipment with you and a camera that can do some time lapsing. If you can, you might also want to invest further on a hardware intervalometer to make the entire process easier. You just need to find yourself a spot and a subject you want. But if you want the best result, you can hire professional time-lapse camera service from Relive It.