The purpose of a patent is to mark something as solely yours. It is like saying that you are the owner of that particular invention and no one can use it in anyway without your approval. However, applying for a patent is not really easy. You have to come up with a letter explaining why such item must be patented. That is right, not all inventions are worth patenting. And most of the time, first timers are denied. This is why, if you are planning to apply for a patent, you will have better chances if you will hire an Australian patent attorney. Yes, applying for a patent can be done without an attorney but then again, the struggle will really be real. It would be like your chance of being denied is bigger compared to the positive result, and to think that the preparation for patent application is costly and time consuming.
Reasons in applying for a patent:
– By patenting your invention, you will have the right to exclusively make use of that for something profitable. You don’t need to share it with others as you are the sole owner of that commodity. You can exclude other people, even relatives from taking part of the profit if you prefer to.
– This is to tell your competitors to back off as you are intent in making your efforts compensated. Those who are planning to take part of your invention will be warned so that if ever they will take part and use your invention, they will have to face legal charges.
– To attract investors. When your commodity is patented, it is like telling the investors that it is indeed valuable and worth their precious investment. Patenting can also be part of your marketing strategy as it can make your invention more valuable.
– You just feel like making something officially yours. After all the hard work like the planning and the brainstorming, you simply want to mark something as yours as part of your accomplishments. This is also one of the most common reasons why one will decide to apply for a patent.
– To improve how most consumers will perceive your products. Yes, this is almost just like the marketing aspect. Knowing the tough competition in the business world, it is just right that you will use all your cards to generate more customers towards your way.
As mentioned above, applying for a patent is not that easy. Some of the terms used are hard to understand for an ordinary person. Besides, the judges in this aspect are not really that easy to please. This is why, if you want to make sure that your invention will really be patented, you should hire a patent attorney. There are already a number of them around and they also have their own online link. It means you can just shop for one online. Just make sure though that you will really do your homework and check the patent attorney properly.